Sunday, July 18, 2010

Anything and Everything

Crochet
This week has been very productive for me as I have finished the Supernatural Army and each Penguin has its own unique characteristic!  Pictures coming soon of all the penguins together and whatnot.  However all of the penguins have proved their aerodynamic abilities to hit targets and conduct surprise raids on unsuspecting prey!  Huzzah!

Knit
I am a compulsive knitter and nothing shows this more then when I started putting the finishing touches on K-9 my electronic made squishy dog from the Sci-Fi tv show Doctor Who.  Anyway I started the embroidery for his top control panel at 1am with the intention of making 4 stitches just so I knew where to start on the following day.  BUT I couldn't stop until it was finished... and it didn't matter how tired I was or how early I had to wake up!  Also I finally made his ears a long struggle since I didn't think the pattern's directions were big enough.  K-9 ears double as his satellite sensing receivers--clearly not just the average ears! So after knitting a couple of demo ears varying the number of stitches and size needles I simply gave up!  I picked up my E-hook and whipped up the perfect sized ears on the first try!  Then to incorporate some of his metal personality I bordered the ears with a quick blanket stitch with silver wire... hopefully its the non-tarnishing type!  So all K-9 needs now is his plaid collar and dog tags.  I already have some dog tags but the collar means I need to take a run to JoAnn's with all of my coupons and pick up some ribbon.  I'm also thinking of adding the red buttons that double as his probe which I can also pick up at JoAnn's...

Yarn and Books
So I was really excited when I got my weekly email from JoAnn Fabrics saying that there was a 30% off all yarn with free shipping was going on!  I didn't get any new yarn (yet) but I did order a TON of crochet and knit books from the library.  One of my favorites tells me all of the neat tricks to crocheting with wire, another is about traditional quilt patterns that have been translated into crocheting terms, and my last new favorite book is all about crocheting purses (my next project)!!! 

Afghans
Really I originally got all of these books out so that I could help my mom pick a stitch she wanted to make an afghan with.  I think we finally picked the basket-weave one it has really nice texture and after I realized "FP" meant "Front Post" it looks pretty easy... the difficulty lies with that it was written for alpaca yarn not Homespun and the hook size is pretty big... an L-hook!  So we'll have to do some gage checks and increase the number of stitches and decrease the hook size... basically just play around until we have a pretty sweet afghan going... I just hope we have enough yarn!

I'm also working on an afghan... I've raised my collage afghan back from the dead and have started knitting the borders for it.  Now that I have new yarn things were looking up... that is before I realized how different variegated yarn dye lots could be!  It looks like I can NOT just continue with the new yarn on the border I already have half done (that's about 200 rows of knitting on a size 8 needle O.o)  So I started the other border with the new yarn... which knits up to look mighty stripy... that's been going swell (but a long process given the size of the needle) I'm hoping that I can kit one border with one skein of yarn and then I can rip out the old stitches on my existing border and knit that all up again with my new skein of yarn... I only have two new skeins so hopefully that will be enough to make the two long borders... I hope so or that means I have a lot more work in front of me than I thought!

Basically the situation with my college afghan is its going to take me a long time.  I started this afghan in the summer of 2007 (I think) and it has progressed in bursts until last year when I ran out of the variegated yarn I used for the borders and sashing after completing all the borders except the two, long vertical ones.  So this summer I finally ordered some more yarn... but the dye lot was different and you could definitely tell... the yarn knit up in stripes instead of a few stitches in the same color before changing.  So I'm starting both vertical borders from scratch with the new yarn so they match.  One of the horizontal borders has been completed and attached for some time while the second one has been gathering dust waiting to be attached.

Dyeing and SewingI'm plotting again... I want a pillow cover for my dorm room body pillow and now that my quilt is done I think it should be a matching pillowcase!  I have a lot of hand dyed fabric left over so it will look realllllllllyyyyyy cool but I just need to make a pattern (taking in mind how much fabric I have left)  I'm debating between something curvy like my quilt or something more like a starbust rainbow of color comprised of diamonds.  Either way I don't think I'm going to do more convergence quilting for the body pillow... That might be a little too much considering that's how my entire quilt was created.  Well I'll have to plan this out in advanced especially if this is going to be the project I'm going to take on the Quilter's Getaway in September!  One whole weekend quilting with the family and other enthusiasts!  So far I think my grandmother, mother, aunt, sister and I are all going... with a little bit of luck we might even be able to rope in my Great Aunt!  It looks like it will be a lot of fun and I'll even bring my quilt for show and tell!

Wow that was a longer update than I thought it would be!! That about sums up all (?) of my projects for now (and longer).  Although I think I might take a break today (or tomorrow) and play with henna and read a GREAT NEW BOOK by Christopher Moore!!!!! *REALLLLLLLLYYYYYYYY EXCITED*  BITE ME  I mean really, how great does that sound!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment