Friday, August 6, 2010

Summer Afghan Number 2!

So after I finished making my sister's Christmas present, the Wind Chime Afghan, I decided to make my brother one too! SUPER SECRET MODE IS ENGAGED!  I'm not sure if I want to make it big enough for a double or single bed, home or school afghan is really the question.  ANYWAY it's going to be a Settler's of Catan Afghan!  I'm super excited!  For those of you who don't know Settler's of Catan is a kick ass board game.  My siblings and I play it with practically all of the different variations and expansion packs so it gets complicated and fun fast! 

So back to the Afghan idea:  I made a few practice hexagons to start out with which looked more like starved orphan stars than healthy hexes in the prime of their life.  The reason for these initial complications of course have nothing to do with me :P  Alright I'll admit that I started reading a British Pattern Like an American Pattern and then confusion escalated from there.  But I got it all sorted out when I found this website which foresaw my problems.  So now my hexagon have a decent pulse and are recovering quite nicely.  I finished 8 healthy hexes in two days and they are going really fast!  I think I'm going to make one central island that looks pretty standard (18 hexagons and one desert)  Then to make it bigger I'll put in some islands with gold mines, attacking barbarians and what not.  I initially wanted to make it a fully functional board game spread.  In which case I'd put a nice square border around it and make 4 Velcro pockets (one at each corner) so that I can crochet towns, cities, roads, ships, and more for each player and then you can actually play the game on your bed!.  The only bad part about making a Catan board game is that once you sew the pieces together you can never change the set-up of the board game, although with enough islands and the like  I suppose you can always section off fields of play for a different game.  So I picked up a couple of pounds of Caron yarn 2 dark blue (ocean), 1 brick red (clay), 1 blue Grey (ore), 1 yellow (wheat), 1 dark green (forest), 1 light green (sheep pasture), and 1 tan (desert).  That's a lot of yarn but I trust Caron to give me a nice feeling afghan.  Plus when you buy in pounds of yarn you really don't have to worry about dye lots!  YAY!  And I'm basically using Amber's blog pattern, with my own minute variations and translations.  However after doing one hexagon with my I-hook I promptly forgot which hook I was using and picked up my J-hook for the next one, and the one after that, etc.  Needless to say by the time I recognized my mistake I was ready to pretend that the I-hook hexagon was specially made for a.... pillow?  Whatever.  It's good to be crocheting an afghan again!  Hopefully it will be ready for Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment