Thursday, May 6, 2010

By Any Other Name...

Since I already have a cake, I wanted to dress it up and make it look fancy.  So I found a pattern book for crocheted and knitted flowers called 100 Flowers To Knit & Crochet.  So this week has been particularly difficult in m my crafting universe as I attempted to knit my first 3-D knitted craft.  It may not seem like the end of the world as I already know how to knit, but I had firmly fixed in my mind that crocheting was for multidimensional projects and knitting was for flat objects, preferably small blocks.  Of course the project I decided to christen my venture into artistic knitting happened to be marked ADVANCED, which I didn't notice until after U was midway through the project and bothering my knitting buddy how to make new stitches!  So thanks to my friend Abby, who had to put up with me, and her amazing skills at surfing the Internet for new techniques!  That being said, this week I constructed a rose in the spirit of Valentine's Day, hoping that it will be good enough to decorate my cake.

Now that my rose is finished I think it is to big and bulky to be attached to my cake.  If I were to undertake this project again I would use a thinner yarn and smaller needles.  Also do NOT bind off and cut the yarn unless the pattern expressively tells you to.  I must have stopped early three or four times when I made the stem.  It is simply planned to be one continuous project that does NOT have to be sewn together again.  Also if your giving out these cute crochet flowers as party favors or decor give them a squirt of perfume to surprise whoever gives them a pretend sniff!

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" ~ Romeo and Juliet

No comments:

Post a Comment